Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I should have known he didn't want to cuddle.

As mentioned before, Caboose and I have a love hate relationship. This means that I want to love him while he is plotting to kill me or, atleast, drive me crazy. That's why when he started cuddling up with me this morning, I should have known better.

Before I get into what happened today, I need to explain something about Caboose. Corgis, as a breed, are known for having a propensity to being... how shall I say, rounder than the average dog. Most corgis need to have a very closely monitored diet lest they get to the point where they can't walk, but are still crawling towards a nugget of deliciousness. Needless to say, I thought I could identify with a dog like that as I suspect the same thing would happen if you left me locked in a mashed potato factory over night. Unfortunately, Caboose is not that kind of corgi. Instead he has this ritual he goes through every night that I'm convinced he does so that we don't check him into an anorexic corgi unit. What he does is this: at about 8pm he'll go in his room and rustle around a little. About a minute later he'll walk out, ears down and drop 3 nuggets of food on the ground in the living room by the tv. Then he looks at me, as if to say, "look momma, I'm eating. Really!" before eating each nugget, one at a time. He'll do this about 2 more times before he finally stays in his room and eats whatever he's going to eat for the day... which is never the full bowl we left him.

As a result, I try my best to make him fat like the rest of us, so when I make crock pot chicken I will usually mix in some chicken broth or chicken bits with his food to entice him. It's cheaper than buying that gravy you can mix with a dog's food, it's probably better for him and he seems to like it too. So last night was no exception. I made the chicken, pulled it apart, and put the misc bits and some broth in a bowl for Caboose. As I walked over to his bowl his little nubbin was a'waggin', he was very happy and he even seemed to be smiling at me. For the first night in awhile he ate his whole bowl of food and seemed pretty content.

When I woke up this morning, he followed me around then snuggled up with me on the couch. I assumed this good behavior was a thank you for the deliciousness from last night. I watched The Closer and pet him for an episode when I noticed that he was breathing a little fast. His tummy started gurgling next, and finally he whined a little bit at me. I knew this was it. Caboose doesn't whine. He'll maroff, he'll bark, but Caboose does not whine. Something was not right. Like the nurse from Madeline I grabbed Caboose and made a b-line for the backyard. This was not going to be pretty. I had just managed to basically toss him into the yard when the poor thing erupted. Apparently his little body was not at all pleased with all the eating that was threatening his model-like figure, and the look on his face made it quite clear that he was not pleased with me as well. If he could speak, I think he would be yelling something like, "You did this to me, woman.. and you will pay!"

I felt bad about the whole thing so when we came back in I grabbed a few milk bones for him as a peace offering. One was vegetable, one was peanut butter and one was chicken flavored. He ate the green one and the brown one, but when it came to the light brown one he dropped it on the floor and went over to his sulking spot next to the coffee table. I grabbed another green one and the light brown one and went back over to him. Surely he's just full, he can't be boycotting the chicken. Well, sure enough, he gulped down the green one again and sniffed at the chicken flavored one before maroffing and laying his head back down. Apparently, he's had quite enough chicken, thank you very much.

All and all, he seems to be feeling better now and is resting beside me again in his usual arms length away position. His indifference helps me to know that everything is okay. Although, every now and then he looks up, and gives me a look. I swear that behind the corgi grin, he's plotting my demise.

You did this to me, woman.. and you will pay!

No comments: